WHEN: Sunday, Feb. 21, 2010,
(new hours for activities 11 a.m.-3 p.m.)
WHERE: Honolulu Academy of Arts
INFO: 532-8700, www.honoluluacademy.org
The Academy celebrates Chinese New Year with “Year of the Tiger.” Lion dancers will wind their way through the museum starting at noon to ring in the Lunar New Year. From Chinese folk dancing to narcissus bulb carving, the day is filled with a broad spectrum of Chinese culture for visitors to enjoy.
Hours of Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday activities are also taking a shift. While the museum and its galleries are open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., activity hours for Bank of Hawaii Family Sunday are now 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
ART ACTIVITIES + DEMONSTRATIONS
- Narcissus Bulb Carving, 11 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Calligraphy, 11 a.m.–3 p.m.
- Be in an art project, 11 a.m.–5 p.m.
- Phoenix Dance Chamber, 1 p.m. -1:30 p.m.: High school students showcase various Chinese Folk, Classical and Modern dances.
- Chinese Lion Dance, 12 a.m.-1 p.m.: Lions from the Lee Shaolin Boxing Academy will travel through the museum grounds to exorcise bad spirits and summon luck & fortune for the new year. After the dance, visitors can join them in the courtyard for a martial arts demonstration.
Chinese Lion photo by Sandi Yara